Sunday, January 29, 2012

Tokyo Quilt Festival 2012 revisited
















On Friday I did end up going back to the quilt show.  It was much less crowded, and I put my coat in a locker - this made all the difference.  I decided to reverse my path, starting around where Julie and I had lost steam on Wednesday.

Right away I noticed what appeared to be a quilters' response to 3/11 (last year's devastating earthquake and tsunami) theme:

"wishes", by Yoko Ueda: 



A quick glance at a few adjacent quilts confirmed that this section very likely featured responses to the disaster.   There were many.  Here are a few:

Detail from "Wish one's whole heart" by Chiyoko Umeda




A fascinating double-sided quilt composed of hearts, "With a single mind" by Misaki Okabe:



"Smile" by Emiko Toda Loeb:  




"Life goes on" by Akane Sakamoto: 

 The reference to 3/11 at the beginning of the description confirmed for me that this quilt's meaning is connected to the earthquake and tsunami:


So whimsical and yet so poignant.  I wish I could have read and understood the description.  I'm glad I bought the show catalogs, so that eventually I can beg translation for some of these descriptions!


Certainly this one fits as well: 
"You are not alone" by Ryoko Fujimoto: 



Some of the quilts I'd seen and posted about on Wednesday (such as "Memories of the Silk" by Junko Himeno, "resurrection" by Satoko Okamura, and "Requiescat" by Yuko Kita) also fit into this category.  So I saw them again on Friday with new eyes. 

Deep breath, and next I saw some of the things I'd skipped on Wednesday, like the section of Quilted Bags (not really my thing): 



And I took a second look through the Amateur section.  This might be a "Dear Jane" quilt?  I'm not sure.  It's called "Red Quilt Filled with Love". I have to admit I snapped the photo as much for the lovely kimono-clad ladies as for the quilt!  



I was really drawn to this one.  Not sure of the title (or maker!) but somewhere on the quilt the word "fertility" was embroidered. 





 The hand quilting was just beautiful.  This spider (obvious symbol of fertility) was created with French knots:



I took another look at the beautiful Hexagon quilt exhibit, and was pleasantly surprised to see that this particular quilt was hanging outside the "no photos" boundary walls.  
I just love it!   Who can resist all that bubblegum pink - not me!  

It is perfectly named - "Happy Hexigon" by Atsuko Matsuyama.  


To my eye, this fabric looks like the real deal - not repro's - but I could be wrong.




Oh, and I loved this cheerful, colorful "room" exhibit by Keiko Goke: 





Next I couldn't help but visit a vender or two and I got a couple of treasures of the "taupe" variety.  .... and that about wraps up my second day at the Tokyo Quilt Festival 2012!