Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Julie's Karl quilt finished...

I finished Julie's Karl quilt yesterday, washed it, and mailed it out this afternoon!

It was such a bittersweet experience, and a privilege, making this quilt from Karl's clothing (mostly shirts, but also a couple of pairs of shorts and pajama bottoms).

I spoke with Julie this morning - we laughed and cried, which is always the case when we talk, since Karl's passing almost two years ago.  I first wrote about this quilt here.  Since that post I've been going gangbusters, with a sense of urgency wanting to get it to Julie by Leap Day, which was totally Karl's thing!

Nitty Gritty:

  • I stabilized some fabrics first (silks, rayon, knit).  
  • Batting: Quilter's Dream "Request."  
  • For machine quilting: Presencia 60 wt cotton in the bobbin and 
  • Smoky nylon monofilament thread in the needle.  I love how this thread disappears leaving on ly the indentation of the quilting!
The quilt did shrink and pucker up quite a bit when I washed it, making me wish I'd quilted it more densely or done more than straight line quilting in the Snowball blocks.  The border is also a tad wavy (shoot, I know better!) but all in all I'm pleased with how it turned out.  It should be able to withstand lots of use and washing, and last forever.

Linking with Quilt Story's Fabric Tuesday - link on my sidebar!
faded, soft flannel from pajama bottoms

Julie loved that Karl would wear flowered shirts.  

Julie asked me to piece a couple of meaningful t-shirts into the backing - this one from their college days I think.

Love this t-shirt - and it inspired the choice of red for binding
Always label your quilts!