Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Trimming the kimonos

Today was a sunny and beautiful first day of spring!  It was a regular school day for the kids but a vacation day for Japanese companies.  David went fly fishing, and I had a quiet morning recovering from a non-stop day yesterday - I got some housework - and quilting - done.

I decided to take a closer look at the kimono blocks.  As with any project involving more than one sewer, there was some variation in block size and shape to contend with.  First, I trimmed them just barely, to square them up.  
 The blocks varied up to 3/4 inch in width and length, but most were easily trimmed to about 10" wide by 11" long.  The smaller ones will benefit from a little extra room in the blue borders.  With the addition of 2 1/2 inch borders, I am leaving room for trimming some blocks more than others, to make them all the same size.  So far, so good!


David got home from fishing and I met him in the neighborhood for a pizza lunch.  There is a new-ish brick oven pizza place a short walk from our apartment, and we've become regulars there (locals - it's called Pizza Strada, in the Juban).  They make just a few simple pizzas, so fresh and wonderful.  Today being a holiday the neighborhood was really hopping with people, walking, on bikes, with children, pets, friends, couples - it felt so festive.  We took a little walk around and then headed home.  More sewing, trimming.  A nice beginning to spring, and even if I do miss my trees back home, there are aspects to this home away from home that I really love too:).  Time to quilt, a small apartment to tend, rather than a house... walking distance to fabulous food... these are things I truly appreciate!  Today was one of those days when you really could feel spring in the air!

Linking up as usual  to Quilt Story Fabric Tuesday (link on my sidebar)... you will find many creative projects there!

Cheers!