Sunday, May 20, 2012

Bloggers' Quilt Festival

Amy's Creative Side
I have seen a lot of posts linking to the Bloggers' Quilt Festival at Amy's Creative Side.  Check out her blog - there are hundreds and hundreds of quilts linked there - I mean - hundreds and hundreds of quilts - wow!

On a whim I had my son hold up the Butterfly quilt this morning so I could snap a pic and add a link as well.  This is my favorite finish so far this year.


It is a loose reproduction of a Butterfly quilt my Grandma Mary Lou made me when I was a 'tween in the 70's.  I first blogged about this quilt  here and its 4-patch twin here.




I wouldn't want anyone to look too closely at the quilting (um, "organic", ya, that's it), but overall from a distance I think it's pretty:). I really enjoy using 30's repros - they are so cheerful.  This was the first time I've tried invisible machine applique using freezer paper and monofilament thread (thanks Grandma for teaching me!) and it was a lot of fun to do.

Miss K has really used and enjoyed the quilt - maybe too much:).  At one point I took it off her bed because I thought she got fingernail polish on it!  I put it back on the bed though - I do think quilts should be loved and used, and for teenagers that love and use is usually messy:).  She will leave the nest soon and I will surely miss her.  The makeup and marker smudges are kind of like toddler fingerprints on a window - impossible to resent for long:).