Thursday, August 30, 2012

Bed quilts from my youth

One day before returning to Japan, I begged help from Miss N and Tommy for a little impromptu photo shoot of the quilts we have at home in MA.  I will break them down into several posts.

This first one - "54-40 or Fight" was made by my Great Grandma "Two" in about 1969.  The pictures don't show the big holes where my first dog, a beagle named Sally, chewed up the quilt years later when it was relegated to basement storage!  I have often contemplated cutting up the quilt and making pillows or something, but I just can't bring myself to do that.




That quilt was replaced by the following Butterfly Quilt, made by Grandma Mary Lou in 1976.  This quilt was on my bed for years, and it's what inspired me to make my own version, which I blogged about here and here.


And when I went to college in 1982, Grandma Mary Lou made me this Irish Chain.  It is one of her early machine quilting efforts.  It really grew on me over the years - a classic pattern.


"Are we almost done, Mom?" :).


More quilts from home soon.... stay tuned!