Monday, March 25, 2013

Tenugui table runner lining


We've had dear friends - Julie S and children - visiting for the last while.  Cherry blossoms, food, long talks, church, games, more food, laughs, hugs and some tears (you might remember I'd made a quilt out of Julie's late husband Karl's shirts last year)... gardens, temples, and Allan West's studio... just basking in having enough time to really go deep in our conversations.  And it was great to have the place filled with tween/teen energy for awhile!  (Poor Tommy is such an only child now that his older sisters are out of the house.) 

 Now I'm left with a rainy grey day, laundry, to-do lists, and what David calls "big event letdown" - the blues that inevitably come to me after a big event.  So I thought I'd just sit awhile with some hot chocolate, a show on my iPad, and the ol' blog. 

This morning Julie S and I ran last minute errands and since the post office is so close to Blue and White.... well we had to squeeze in another visit.  (See Tokyo Jinja's amazing post here - well worth a look, as she perfectly captures the spirit of this special place!).  

I just can't get enough of this little jewel of a shop with its ever changing window displays... 

Boro from Amy Katoh's collection
And beautiful indigo textiles, including an enticing selection of tenugui:
Tenugui and yukata cottons
Backing up a week or two... I lined this sashiko table runner with a length of tenugui.


My sashiko teacher, Yoshiura-sensei, picked it out for me and I didn't feel in a position to argue!


But I didn't have quite enough, so I patched in some polka-dot tenugui I purchased at Kappabashi:


This proprietor of a kitchen uniform shop was busy cutting these long lengths into rectangles to sell.  Tenugui is used much like we might use bandanas in the states - as rags, headbands, handkerchiefs.



Read more about Kappabashi here.

Kappa statue 
I have my eye on house blocks, and Japanese farmhouse designs... 

I love these pods - I see them around in shops but I have no idea what they are. Can any locals identify them for me?

 I couldn't resist one of these fish baskets (tesage kago or shirekago).  I'm a foreigner so I think I can get away with using it improperly - for sashiko supplies!