Tuesday, May 21, 2013

A Blue Blazes beginning... fizzles out for now


Do you ever promise yourself, "No more UFO's!" Sigh.  I count three off the top of my head, but I thought I'd show you my latest before I pack it away!

It's Honey Bee, or Blue Blazes, described in 1935 in The Romance of the Patchwork Quilt in America by Carrie Hall as a "lovely old Colonial pattern."  #6 in the photo below:


And here shown in full - fantastic, right?  I love the combination of piecing and applique and I thought this would be a perfect project to prepare for take-along work.  It's also a quilt pattern I hadn't seen at all before in person or in blogs... and I just liked the idea of doing something that hasn't been done 1000 times already.  I usually make quilts like log cabins or four patches.... so I thought, this will be a challenge for me.

My plan was to use a variety of indigos for the nine patches and "bodies", and some yellow for the "wings"... and perhaps red for cornerstones, depending on how I set the blocks...

Drafting a pattern 

Cutting freezer paper templates 

Cutting pieces for the first block.  The indigo is a woven kasuri piece given to me by Queenie

Finding just the right yellow to carry through the whole quilt proved tricky though... and I'm still not satisfied...


... and so I have really stalled out.  I may end up using colored scraps for the appliqued "wings" - one color for each block - I'm not sure.  I want it to be primarily indigo and white, with a dash of color.

I put this aside weeks and weeks ago, and now I have to mentally put it aside too!   Fewer than three weeks left in Japan (no!!!)...