Sunday, July 14, 2013

Another square-in-square finished!


So today.... just in the nick of time (we travel to North Carolina tomorrow to see lots of family - yay!), I finally finished tacking back the binding on my niece's graduation quilt - yet another raw-edge applique, square-in-square quilt (by request!).  Washed and dried it, and with a little daylight left, enlisted my girls to help with a quick snapshot:






Pictures taken before I trimmed all the bits of loose thread from the raw-edge applique:

I used lots of fabrics purchased at the City Quilter in NYC in colors requested by my niece... plus scraps of Japanese linen, silk, and whatever else I had on hand.  I finished the whole thing in Japan, save tacking back the binding.  (Did I ever even live in Japan?  In many ways it seems like a faraway dream, after only one short month away.)

I think I could use this Japanese brown linen polka dot in every quilt I ever make:



And speaking of using brown... I really enjoyed a recent guest post over at Elven Garden on color theory -  here  - by Alison of Little Island Quilting -  Her colorful scrappy quilts are just wonderful and her theory really resonates with me.  Hurray for brown... for not necessarily using a whole designer line of fabric at once... for considering VALUE... in a nutshell, hurray for scrappy!

And now... it is after midnight!  How did that happen?  With an early flight tomorrow... I... must... pack (not exactly my specialty!).