Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Reconnecting in North Carolina



We had a family reunion for my husband's side of the family - a wonderful week at a luxurious mountain retreat in North Carolina... which included some outstanding art at every turn...




A relaxing and joyous week reconnecting with extended family - about 50 in total - stories and food - holding babies - fly fishing and rafting for some, laughs and games and long talks for all - a week long celebration of Nani and Poppie's 50th wedding anniversary... a gathering we will never forget.  It was just amazing.


And it included the requisite GYOZA NIGHT:   

I really regret not taking more photos throughout the week - but I guess I was trying to be "in the moment" !

And on Friday the reconnecting continued with a visit to my brother's family, where my Dad and Denise also joined us from Colorado.  A quieter gathering but also precious time together.

North Carolina is so beautiful and it was a long but easy drive.  (It seems like yesterday that we had sleeping baby and two preschoolers in the backseat on road trips - how did they grow up so fast?)


At my brother's we marveled at the house he recently finished building.  He is a master carpenter.


Amazing craftsmanship:


Upstairs I noticed right away that the old Bernina, which was given to me by Grandma Mary Lou, and which I handed down to my niece A a few years ago, is being used and loved - such a good feeling!


She is making little drawstring bags for children at a therapeutic horse camp where she volunteers her time - she has a heart of gold!

Grandpa and Grandma D catching a photo with all their grandkids:


Grandma Mary Lou's high school graduation portrait displayed in the hallway between the girls' rooms:


Paintings by Uncle Frank, set beautifully in the dining room:



At this point most of you are thinking... where are the quilts in this post?  Ha ha... I did snap some photos of a few I've made for my nieces over the years:

Butterfly applique quilt:


"Love is Spoken Here": 



Patriotic Stars: 



A simple sweet baby quilt made by Grandma Mary Lou:
And another:


And this great old Crazy Quilt in a bar setting - I love it!




And lastly this treasure from my great-grandma "Two" - a classic nine patch:









Everything so artfully arranged by Janette:


A great vacation so focused on reconnecting with all sorts of family - just the thing we needed as we transition from Japan back to the U.S.  Soon I will post about the small sashiko project I am working on - so stay tuned!