Saturday, December 28, 2013

Stepping Stones



It's that time again to complete a "Stepping Stones" quilt - to be given to a graduate from a Tokyo orphanage.  I have been assigned Hiroki, who likes green and blue.

I purchased lots of the fabric in Japan... supplementing liberally from my stash of green scraps at home.


The pattern is Bonnie Hunter's "Sticks and Stones" - and for our purposes we call it "Stepping Stones". You can find the free pattern here.

Although the finished quilt looks like it is made up of four patches and narrow sashing, it is actually constructed as a nine-patch with the sashing "built in":



Twenty out of thirty scrappy blocks completed!  Feels so good to (finally) get into the sewing room and feel productive there.  It seems like it's taken weeks and months to settle back into life back in the U.S.


Besides... after going completely off the rails of Weight Watchers over the past few weeks, I am thinking it's time to concentrate on fabric and sewing once again, rather than this kind of stuff:

But... one last batch of cookies today....


How I wish I could talk to Grandma Mary Lou about cookies and quilting once more!  I do feel her close though... especially in the kitchen and in the sewing room.  

So thankful for this crew... (my how the years fly!): 





Happy New Year fellow quilters out there in blogland.  Hold your loved ones close! 
xo
Cynthia

6 comments:

SoozieSuzy said...

Festive greetings and happy new year to you Cynthia. I love the colours in your new quilt. I think the recipient will be overjoyed to receive it.

Jenny M said...

Well done with the blocks you have made. Best wishes for the coming New Year.

Diane-crewe said...

so glad you are beginning to settle back into life in the US xx Quilt looks greatx what a wonderful way to end your sewing year xx Ghristmas is a time to forget weight .. in all forms .. New Year is fine for that sort of thing xx

Julie Fukuda said...

I love the blocks. Too bad you can't go through my blue and green bins.
The family pictures are great!

Lin said...

Thank you for the link Cynthia - a very effective pattern and I love the way yours is looking so far. I wish you a very Happy, healthy and peaceful New Year. xx

Helen Wong said...

Someone in my Facebook group shared this site with us so I came to give it a look. Im definitely loving the information. Im book-marking and will be tweeting this to my followers! Outstanding blog and great style and design.Top Ten Web Hosting Reviews