Friday, February 21, 2014

Quilts Japan 2012 at NEQM - part one

Yesterday my friend Alyson and I ventured to Lowell to see the New England Quilt Museum's exhibit of quilts from the 2012 Quilts Japan competition.

detail from Streamline by Yoko Komatsuno 



What a treat to see a beautiful and varied selection without crowds, and with information in English.  Taking photos was A-OK too.


Here are a few, starting with Streamline by Yoko Komatsuno:

Streamline by Yoko Komatsuno 


detail from Streamline by Yoko Komatsuno
This one  - Forever More - House - Forever More by Sashiko Nishiyama -  knocked my socks off and I can't believe I neglected to get a photo of the whole quilt.  Scrappy at its very best, and the details were amazing: 

detail from Forever More - House - Forever More by Sashiko Nishiyama 
 Look at this exquisite binding:
detail from Forever More - House - Forever More by Sashiko Nishiyama 

detail from Forever More - House - Forever More by Sashiko Nishiyama 


detail from Forever More - House - Forever More by Sashiko Nishiyama



Here's a superb example of a Japanese "taupe" quilt - The World of Flying Geese by Yoko Suzuki:  


The closer you get, the more color and detail you see. The borders were just stunning!

 I can't even imagine the levels of patience and precision necessary for making this quilt.


The competition is open internationally.  Here is a shimmering, beautiful piece from an Italian quilter:  

Tile Lines by Teresa Gai 


detail from Tile Lines by Teresa Gai 
And this one from Switzerland: 
Vibrato by Marianne Haeni 


detail from Vibrato by Marianne Haeni 

detail from Vibrato by Marianne Haeni 
At first I glossed over this next one, because the color scheme isn't my favorite really.  But... upon closer look, wowsa, what a masterful quilt, all hand pieced, appliqued, and quilted, just beautiful. Surrounded by Lily Bouquets by Mitsuko Kazama:

Surrounded by Lily Bouquets by Mitsuko Kazama


detail from Surrounded by Lily Bouquets by Mitsuko Kazama

detail from Surrounded by Lily Bouquets by Mitsuko Kazama

I have photos of a few more to share in my next post... 

For now I am enjoying the last night of a week's worth of no one asking me "what's for dinner?" ... but I am ready for "the boys" to get home!  They have been in Japan for the week - David for business mostly, and Tommy to see friends, visit his old school, explore his old haunts, etc.  

Back here on the ranch, there's been this outside: 


And this inside: 

Soooo ready for spring!