Sunday, March 16, 2014

another simple baby quilt with tenugui

Our new friends Alex and Erica are having their first baby soon... an opportunity for me to make another very simple "one patch" baby quilt.  It is fast and satisfying work to cut 80 5-inch squares and arrange them randomly.  I love making simple scrappy quilts.  

In recent years Erica had spent two young-adult years living in Tokyo as a missionary for our church, so I knew that using lots of Japanese fabrics would be just the thing.  I surely brought back a lot of tenugui (traditional Japanese woven, hand dyed cotton hand towels) for use in such scrappy projects.



 Wait... what is wrong with this picture?.... Mount Fuji is upside down - that won't do! ...
 Here we go....

 The little pink and red carp, and the teal pigs, green flowers, and orange and yellow pastoral scenes - those are all cut from tenugui.  Filling in the gaps are random scraps from my stash including several 30's repros.  A little birdie told me that the new momma likes aqua, so I kept that in mind too.  I do find that teal/aqua is a terrific unifying color in scrap quilts.

I backed it with this adorable print, found at a local quilt shop: 


I quilted it diagonally, very simply in wavy lines, using a darning foot, with monofilament in the needle and cotton in the bobbin.  Like all the baby quilts I make, this one is simple and meant to withstand hard use and frequent washings.  I hope it will be used and enjoyed! 

13 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

I need to come up with a new baby quilt for someone in our church and this looks like a good solution. I bet that quilt will get a lot of love and use.

Julie said...

This is so cute! I love the Mt. Fugi and the colors are great. That backing by Aneela Hoey is lovely.

Cynthia@aquilterbynight said...

Thank you Julie for identifying the designer of the backing fabric. Yes it is so cute isn't it!

Catherine said...

Simple and beautiful - I know it will be treasured!

Fran said...

Just the kind of quilt I love! Sure the baby will too.

bottlebranch.com said...

Beautiful! The colors are so beautifully balanced - that not that easy to do it a "random" way! And i see what you meaan about how the teal unifies it.

bottlebranch.com said...

Beautiful! The colors are so beautifully balanced - that not that easy to do it a "random" way! And i see what you meaan about how the teal unifies it.

bottlebranch.com said...

Beautiful! The colors are so beautifully balanced - that not that easy to do it a "random" way! And i see what you meaan about how the teal unifies it.

made by ChrissieD said...

Love it Cynthia, what a great gift :D

Sally said...

Lovely quilt... the colours are beautiful, baby friendly but not babyish!

Emily Carnes said...

Lucky baby! This is so beautiful. I love all the bright colors and prints! I'm sure it will be treasured for years to come.

Emily at backtothecraft.blogspot.ca

Ella and Nesta said...

Beautiful quilt! I hadn't heard about this fabric before. Very interesting. It's a wonderful gift.

Scarlett Burroughs said...

Hi Cynthia,
Your baby quilt is lovely. I featured your post on Craft Gossip here,
http://quilting.craftgossip.com/tenugui-baby-quilt/2014/03/24/

Warmly,
Scarlett Burroughs
Quilting Editor, Craft Gossip