Friday, March 7, 2014

More sashiko

Tachibana - orange blossom 

Oh how I enjoy stitching sashiko.... sitting by the fire, while watching TV... in dentist waiting rooms... at book group...


This way I'm slowly working on my sashiko sampler...


I wish the beautiful indigo showed better in these photos.  Perhaps it's time to upgrade to a "real" camera?  I'm using my old iphone - I love the convenience.

Mitsu Ichou three gingko leaves 
 Some of these patterns are from Susan Briscoe's book Japanese Quilt Blocks to Mix and Match.  Others I got from my sashiko teacher in Tokyo.

Here is one of my favorites, Tortoiseshell (looks like flowery hexies to me!). You can see where I mistakenly extended the pattern when I was tracing it.  Those lines will wash right out.  I may redo the block - the stitches aren't as uniform as I'd like.  But then again..... when it is pieced into a whole quilt... it won't really matter... and I'm not a perfectionist.

Tsu no kikko - tortoise shell
 I will alternate these blocks with pieced blocks like this:



Little by little.... I love working with this indigo!