Wednesday, July 9, 2014

kitchen, wedding, play, puppy, quilting?? oh my!

The other day a young friend dropped by and we ended up in my old "stash" to share scraps... which inspired me today to organize them again roughly by color (with solids, indigos, tenugui, 30's repros, and curtain fabric each stored separately).  I hadn't done this since way before we moved to Japan.

Sort of comforting, to revisit old fabric friends from the 90's. How will I eventually combine these with the wonderful treasures I brought back from Japan? Mmmmm... possibilities.  Scrappy possibilities.  



The past four months have been really hectic, I mean REALLY.

Starting in March, our kitchen renovation began in earnest...  (the last renovation had been in the 40's or 50's)

BEFORE:  



DURING (our contractor exposed the original 1740's beams as well as the wide plank flooring; my brother custom made the cabinetry and island - #bestbrotherever)





AFTER: 








AND.... in May, just as the kitchen was pretty much finished, we had Kaela's wedding, in Salt Lake City.  It was fairly low key and a wonderful event... (but can we just have a chat about the stress of finding a mother-of-the-bride dress!)


 Here's one with Joe and Kaela, and Kaela's grandmothers: 



I can't wait for the professional photos to roll in!

AND... all the while... during the kitchen and the wedding prep and beyond... David was in rehearsals for Much Ado About Love, a romantic comedy he wrote (using scenes and verse from Shakespeare) and directed... a very big deal!  It was a smashing success and he is hoping that small college theater departments and other community theaters might be interested in producing it. 


The play went up in June for two weekends, and THEN... we held a dessert open house for Kaela and Joe:


Several great friends really rallied and helped me with the food.  I could not have done it without them!


AND... meanwhile somehow I thought it might be a good idea to get a new puppy (hello?!).   Five weeks later I mostly still think it was a good idea!

Meet Daisy, with one happy big brother Tommy, who picked her out and named her:




All of these life events - home improvement, wedding, a play, new puppy - are a happy kind of stressful, but for many weeks we were also handling a serious health crisis within our family (after all, life is both sunshine and shadow - despite what most of sunny blogland, not to mention Facebook, reflects) .... so it all added up to four incredibly challenging months.... during which I did precious little sewing... 


But... when the dust started to settle (literally).... I did finish up the last few blocks for my sashiko sampler: 


And finally last weekend as "normalcy" - and dare I say it - calm - started to settle over the household, I stitched the rows together (such a joy to be truly back into a project): 


That is it for now!  If you have stuck with this post all the way through, I humbly thank you;).  

My goal is to make quilting more of a daily joyful habit... and to update this blog more regularly again.  When we state our goals publicly, they are more likely to be achieved... correct?  ;). 

xo
Cynthia




6 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

I can't help thinking how much of my downstairs could fit into that kitchen. It is a lovely room.
Your time back certainly has been a whirlwind. I regular dose of stitching may be a good respite.

Pamela said...

So glad to see you post again. I've begun reading your archives and I am interested in your time in Japan! What took you to Japan and how long were you there (here)? We've been here 2 1/2 years so far and we love it!

Lin said...

Goodness you have been busy! Good to have you back. Love the new kitchen, the puppy and tha bride looked gorgeous. Enjoy your daily stitching time. xx

Nifty Quilts said...

Wow! What a whirlwind. You look beautiful in your mother-of-the-bride dress. Your kitchen is gorgeous! And the puppy and his brother look so sweet. I hope we get to see the front of your sashimi sampler some day. Happy stitching all summer!

Diane-crewe said...

goodness what a whirlwind!! Lots of happy smiley faces xx AND a beautiful pup to make your lives complete x

Barb said...

cute puppy! what a nice blog - I'll add you to my feed. Beautiful wedding photos too.
We're neighbors - I'm in CT.