Thursday, July 10, 2014

Sashiko Sampler border auditions

The sashiko sampler all tacked up on the wall... ready to audition borders... 




The pieced blocks were taken from Susan Briscoe's Japanese Quilt Blocks to Mix and Match, as were all but four of the sashiko designs.  I loved making this quilt.  I used several pieces of vintage katazome indigo in it.  And "mixing and matching" designs was indeed a lot of fun. 

So - borders.    Probably not this stripe....



Probably not this gorgeous brilliant blue indigo...


I do like how using the same dark indigo used throughout will make the blocks "float":



With that decided.... all that's left is to measure, cut, measure and cut... and sew on these borders... but I can think of 100 ways to productively procrastinate;)... 

12 comments:

Julie said...

I love this! The floating border is my favorite too.it makes it all about the awesome blocks.

Jenny M said...

This quilt is going to be such a lovely reminder of your time in Japan.

meli B said...

Beautiful quilt packed with lots of memories. I would love to see what the stripes would look like for binding the quilt.

Queeniepatch said...

You've come a long way on this fantastic quilt. It holds so many memories and must have been a joy to work on. Now for the border... the sooner you add it and start quilting the sooner the quilt can be on constant display...

Julie Fukuda said...

Leave it to Queenie to say it all!
It will be a great quilt to have finished.

Helen said...

The dark indigo really does the job. Beautiful piece!

Nifty Quilts said...

Yea! It's really beautiful, and quite an accomplishment--all those different blocks. I've had that book for years, but never attempted making the blocks. Someday. Great border choice too.

Lin said...

Yes, definitely the dark border, it looks super as do all your lovely blocks. xx

Erika said...

C, this quilt is absolutely stunning. I want to cry! Thank you for sharing your quilts through this blog. And thanks for sharing your life too! Love ya

Pamela said...

This is fabulous! I love the border you chose.

Quilteuse Forever said...

Susan Briscoe is very inspiring, all her books are on my shelves! Her love for Japanese fabrics is a link between us.
The quilt you made is stunning, I love it, congrats!

EHP said...

The dark indigo looks lovely. Plus, I love that you call the testing out "auditions" ;)