Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Steps to the Altar

I have started piecing "Steps to the Altar" blocks for Kaela and Joe's wedding quilt.


I found the pattern in the old Ruby McKim classic, One Hundred and One Patchwork Patterns (published in 1931, reprinted in 1962).


Through some trial and error I figured out a workable method for rotary cutting and piecing a block which will finish at 9", and which will retain the nice diagonal seam separating "steps" from "altar."


(My method here also utilizes the "sew and flip" way to make half square triangles, which does produce some waste, but I'm OK with that).


Cutting:

"Steps" fabric:  2" squares - cut 9
"Altar" fabric: 3 1/2" squares - cut 2

Background fabric:
2" squares - cut 9
6 1/2" x 3 1/2" rectangles - cut 2
3 1/2" square - cut 1
3 1/2" x 2" rectangles - cut 3

I will photograph the piecing method step by step and post it soon in case anyone out there wants to try this charming basket-like block without reinventing the wheel!  Here's a glimpse:








So nice on a rainy day to see a new quilt taking shape:


And..... the puppy is getting bigger by the minute!