Thursday, July 31, 2014

Under the wire...

It can't possibly be the last day of July!

detail from Thousand Pyramids, Amish, Ohio, about 1930
I managed to see Quilts and Color - The Pilgrim/Roy Collection at the MFA in Boston just before it closed.  (I preparing to visit my father in Colorado - he's in the hospital after a serious tumble down some stairs.  It is so challenging to live far away from aging parents, as many of my fellow bloggers know from their own experience!)

Anyway... even with my worried and distracted mind, I was so grateful to see this quilt show.

I nearly cried when I first walked in - such striking quilts so beautifully displayed -


Log Cabin, Windmill Blades variation, Ohio, about 1890
(Look at the teeny tiny pieced
borders on the above Log Cabin - wowsa!)





 The following quilt attracted a crowd:

Field of Diamonds, United States, about 1860

Thousand Pyramids, Amish, Ohio, about 1930

The quilts were collected by visionaries Paul Pilgrim and Gerald Roy, starting in the 1960's.

Mennonite, Double Irish Chain on point,  Pennsylvania, 1880-1890

detail
Mennonite, Double Irish Chain on point,  Pennsylvania, 1880-1890
Of course most of the quilts featured knock-your-socks-off hand quilting:
detail
Mennonite, Double Irish Chain on point,  Pennsylvania, 1880-1890

Tumbler's Block, Pennsylvania, about 1920

And here's an argument if there ever was one for tied quilts "counting" as quilts!

Center Medallion tied child's comforter, Missouri, 1910