Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Steps to the Altar, step by step

I'm hitting my stride with these fun Steps to the Altar blocks.



More on this block here

Here's how I am assembling the blocks.  I know, not the most efficient, but works for me!


Cutting:

"Steps" fabric:  2" squares - cut 9
"Altar" fabric: 3 1/2" squares - cut 2

Background fabric:
2" squares - cut 9
6 1/2" x 3 1/2" rectangles - cut 2
3 1/2" square - cut 1
3 1/2" x 2" rectangles - cut 3



To assemble a block: 
1.  Layer one "Altar" square with one 3 1/2" background square.  Sew and flip:



2.  Sew the 2" background squares to the 2" "Steps" squares:



3.  From the units made in step 2, make three four-patches: 



4.  Make three of these units:




5.  Using one of the unit made in step 4, layer with a 6 1/2" x 3 1/2" background piece, sew and flip: 






6.  Make another unit like in step 5, but be careful that the "steps" square is oriented in the opposite corner. 




7.  Using the last unit made in step 4, plus the second "Altar" fabric square, sew and flip to make this unit:  


6.  Assemble your pieces!












Old Molly enjoying a cozy nap as I slowly add blocks to the wall...