Monday, September 1, 2014

Flags of the American Revolution - Eagle




Lori at Humble Quilts has started a "quilt-along" to make the sampler found in Jan Patek's Flags of the American Revolution.  Perfect first quilt-along for me, as we live in a pre-Revolutionary War house, our town celebrates its 300th year this year, and it is high time that I quilt something Revolutionary!

The first step, the center Eagle block - freezer paper templates, needle turn applique:


After I had started appliqueing, I realized my placement was a little off and I had to shorten and round out the beak at the last minute.... resulting in eagle, or goose?  But I guess part of the appeal of "primitive" is lack of precision.



Go over to the link-up at Humble Quilts to join in or just see what other quilters are doing.  Thanks Lori!


  I do have some catching up to do! Appliqueing these stars to red setting triangles:



Edited to add.... and here it is finished up: