Friday, October 31, 2014

Flags of the American Revolution - part 3 - stripes

I'm really enjoying this quilt-along organized by Lori at Humble Quilts.  It's "homework" but the really fun kind.

Can't wait to see how the other quilters' flags have turned out this month, especially with three of the blocks calling for buttons.  I don't really want buttons on my quilt, so I got creative (lazy?).

Here are mine:

Guilford Courthouse Flag.  For the "buckles" the block called for, I blanket stitched felted wool ovals:


------------------------------------
Sons of Liberty, aka "Rebellious Stripes".  You can see that I ran out of the tiny red stars on white, and patched in something else.  PRIMITIVE.


------------------------------------

U.S. Navy Jack.  The fleet signal issued for the first ships of the Continental Navy:


-----------------------------------

Bennington Flag.   This one called for thirteen star buttons arranged in an arc over the 76.  I tried embroidering small stars.... finally opted for one big star - I figure it's ok to improvise - it's true to the spirit of the flag and this quilt.



-----------------------------------

First Stars and Stripes.  Sort of.  Perhaps I will find a way to attach a circle of 13 tiny white stars, perhaps felted wool while I am quilting it.


These blocks are all taken from Jan Patek's book Flags of the American Revolution.   Thanks Lori - can't wait to see what our next assignment will be!