Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Steps to the Altar - finished!




Finally finished Kaela and Joe's wedding quilt - Steps to the Altar, from an old 1930's Ruby McKim pattern.  Yay!  Five months off and on in the making.

I quilted in the ditch around the blocks:


Then checkerboard in the pieced blocks:


Then free motion wreathes in the alternate blocks - very free - not staying in the lines exactly, but overall it worked.  I feel like I finally got the hang of it about 15 blocks in to the process!



I used 60 weight cotton in the bobbin and nylon monofilament in the needle.  Quilters Dream Cotton batting in the "Select" mid-weight.


The only problem with this quilt is.... after I had pieced the blocks, I tried to match the muslin for the plain alternate blocks.  Wellllll the lighting in my local quilt shop isn't great, and it isn't great in my sewing room either - because as you can see, not a great match... but... it's a vintage-y looking quilt anyway right?  It looks better in person than in photos, and I believe over time with lots of use and washings the difference will be even less an issue.




I first blogged about this quilt here and give directions for making the blocks here.  

Now...... time to make toffee.... wrap presents.... do all those non-quilting related holiday tasks.... Mrs. Santa, time to get busy!